McCarter Theatre Center, centered between New York City and Philadelphia on the campus of Princeton University, is a creative and intellectual hub that inspires conversations, connections, and collaborations in our communities. We lead with justice and joy, and we seek beauty in belonging. McCarter is an independent, non-profit performing arts center that creates and curates engaging performances, education programs, and community partnerships. As a performing arts center, in addition to presenting artists both nationally and internationally, McCarter also produces its own theatrical events as part of our Theater Series. Shows in the Theater Series are produced “in-house” and unlike our presented events, run for several weeks.
McCarter is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring, supporting, and promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. McCarter is committed to fostering a diverse, anti-racist company and have begun that work in earnest; this work goes beyond our staff and production teams and includes engaging, educating, and cultivating a broad range of audiences, making the arts accessible to all people, and presenting a variety of entertaining and thought-provoking programming across disciplines. As such, McCarter seeks team members who: contribute to a diversity of backgrounds and experiences to support an expansive artistic vision; are committed to engaging in ongoing anti-racism and anti oppression work collectively and individually; value collaboration, flexibility, and an openness to continuous personal and professional growth. Please review our staff-written Framing Statement on equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility, linked here.
The Development Associate is a key member of McCarter’s Development Department, providing administrative support for both individual and institutional giving. This position is an integral role to the administrative success of McCarter’s Development team, as a leading arts non-profit, and will interact and collaborate with several other departments regularly.
Principal Job Responsibilities
• Manage the department calendar for the Annual Fund and other campaigns.
• Oversee daily gift entry for contributions received
• Generate acknowledgement letters for gifts ranging from $25.00 - $2,999.00.
• Generate fundraising reports and lists/extractions as needed.
• Create and coordinate routine mailings and solicitations.
as of 1/19/23
• Coordinate with Director of Patron Experience to develop outbound calling lists.
• Assist with preparations for all donor events including the Annual Gala, Opening Nights, Member Lounge Nights, and other special activities.
• Be present for many donor events to assist with check-in and to perform other functions. • Assist with individual, foundation and corporation research as needed.
• Take and distribute meeting minutes for occasional Development meetings.
• Attend all Development training sessions required by the Director of Development, as well as institutionally required professional development opportunities.
• Maintain consistent awareness of institutional events, meetings, and other information via company email and other modes of communication.
• Adhere to safe working practices and follow all McCarter safety and code of conduct policies • Initiate a positive experience while communicating with a diverse donor base, leading with McCarter’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility (EDIA), and Antiracism informed values and practices for both staff and community members.
• Participate in the work to make McCarter an antiracist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Development Department and McCarter as a whole more Equitable and Inclusive
• Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree and/or relevant administrative experience in non-profit fundraising.
• Computer Proficiency (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and Zoom video conferencing, etc.)
• CRM/fundraising database knowledge preferred; Tessitura experience strongly preferred.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Strong communication skills both verbal and writing.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and identify priorities with ease.
• Customer service experience preferred.
• Passion for the performing arts.
• Good sense of humor and a team player.
• Flexibility to work several nights and weekends as assigned.
• Ability to work in an on-site/off-site hybrid environment
• Strong EDIA and antiracism critical consciousness or curiosity and willingness to grow in these areas
These job responsibilities may not include all assigned duties or aspects of the job described.
and may be amended by McCarter at any time as needs and demands evolve.
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above, but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on the job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton.
If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s vision, we would love to hear from you.
Please email email@example.com with your name and “Development Associate” in the subject line. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references. Do also mention where you heard about the position. We look forward to learning more about you!
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Annual; Exempt
REPORTS TO: Manager of Individual Giving and Special Events
PAY: Minimum starting salary $40,000.00
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Medical, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, sick and personal time, paid staff holidays, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, employee assistance program (EAP), and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, as well as other perks.
LOCATION & SCHEDULE: This is an in-person/virtual hybrid position reporting to our administrative offices located at 91 University Place in Princeton, NJ. In-person requirements are based on departmental needs and staff meetings. Regular business hours are Monday thru Friday, 10am – 6pm. Some weekend and evening hours will be required as scheduled in advance.
McCarter Theatre Center is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in the application and hiring process for individuals with disabilities if needed and requested. To request disability accommodation, please contact (609) 258-6500 and connect with Human Resources.
Sign up for Emails