StrongMinds is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise that treats depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited. Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated nearly 230,000 women and adolescents in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years and to expand to other geographical regions. StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to favorable media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes, BBC World Service, and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are described by UK organization Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world and by Charity Navigator as a highly rated, high-impact charity.
About the Position:
The Development Coordinator will play a key role in StrongMinds’ efforts to manage a pipeline of individual and family foundation donors. This person will build and manage the annual fund portfolio with the aim of supporting the team to grow individual giving. They will interface with potential and current donors, as well as strategically deploy staff senior leadership members.
The Development Coordinator will be responsible for coordination support to the Development Team including donor research, donor communication and stewardship, and supporting data input. The coordinator will assist team members in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donor relationships to further the mission and goals of StrongMinds. The ideal candidate will enter the position with sector experience and an understanding of U.S. philanthropic stakeholders and the donor landscape. They will have managed annual campaigns and have enthusiasm and new ideas for engaging existing and new donors.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the donor pipeline, demonstrated ability to create a process and implement the strategy for existing and new donors. They will manage annual donors and a small portfolio of larger donors and will manage and document senior level staff’s solicitation of high-net-worth individuals. For each activity below, expected outputs include supporting the Development Team to raise an ambitious $10.5million in 2023, with aggressive growth in the coming years.
1. Development – direct donor support:
a. Manage Annual Fund donors through planning donor engagement events and campaigns, including friend-raisers, salons, dinner events, and seasonal online campaigns. b. Identify and qualify a portfolio of individual and family foundation donors with the capacity to give up to $10,000.
2. Development – support senior staff activities:
a. Create, implement, and evaluate strategies that lead to sound donor cultivation, prospecting, segmenting, acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship.
b. Work with the Director of Development to advance the major gifts strategy for High- Net-Worth Individuals, while building on process, pipeline and stewardship practices.
3. Donor Communications: Work across teams to identify information and materials of interest to prospects and donors, including budgets and communication materials.
4. Donor Data and administration: Work with Director of Development and Database Administrator to track and maintain donor engagement efforts in CRM system. Acknowledge all donor gifts.
Skills Abilities and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• 2-3 years of work within development, specifically with individual donors.
• Experience managing annual fund donors and relevant activities.
• Experience creating and managing donor pipelines.
• Ability to think creatively and boldly regarding strategies to identify and retain donors.
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively across departments, cultures, languages, and time zones.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a deadline-driven environment.
• Flexibility and ability to adapt in a rapidly growing team and organization.
• A clear understanding of StrongMinds’ mission and ability to convey strategy.
• International experience a definite plus.
Strong Minds Core Values
• We are people focused.
• We think big and act fast.
• We are data driven.
• We do what we say and say what we do.
• We believe in collaboration, not competition.
The Development Coordinator may work from a remote location in the Eastern U.S. time zone or in the Maplewood, NJ office of StrongMinds.
Email resumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
Sign up for Emails