Associate Vice President of Individual Philanthropy
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Associate Vice President of Individual Philanthropy will support NJPAC’s institutional vision as it builds on its tradition of presenting important cultural events and performances, furthering arts education, fostering civic dialogue and spurring economic development. The Associate Vice President of Individual Philanthropy will drive contributed revenue from high-net-worth donors and create new fundraising opportunities for the organization by crafting and executing strategies to reach new domestic markets and donor bases with an emphasis on individual donors. Cumulatively, the Arts Center currently raises $8 to 10M from individual donors including for the annual $13M fundraising campaign (which includes two annual fundraising events), and in support of NJPAC’s $225M Capital Campaign and special projects. The Capital Campaign is helping to fund the expansion of NJPAC’s campus which includes retail, residential, park space and the CoopermanFamily Arts Education and Community Center. That fundraising goal will grow with the new buildings and programs.
- Working collaboratively with CEO and VP, Development, serve as lead principal giving strategist and fundraiser, stewarding a portfolio of two dozen principal level donors currently giving 7-figure gifts and creatively and entrepreneurially developing a pipeline of new funding principal gift funding opportunities
- Supervise individual giving, including membership, mid-level donors, major donors and planned giving, working closely with the Vice President of Development and other team members to expand giving by individuals at all levels;
- Guide development staff to develop multi-channel strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors with a focus on building this portfolio;
- Work closely with the programming, arts education and community engagement departments ensuring the development department has a lead role in proposal development;
- Engage Board members as active ambassadors, thought partners and lead generators;
- Work with the Managing Director of Women@NJPAC, a fundraising and programming affinity group supporting NJPAC, to identify and advance individual giving leads
- Manage a staff of 3 and help set tone for development team to ensure that everyone is working in unison;
- Work to make certain there is integration of priorities across the organization;
- Collaborate across organization, including with Head of Research to pursue the best funding opportunities;
- Meet or exceed fundraising goals for individual giving; assist with campaigns as appropriate;
- Aid or support the executive team in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of strategic goals;
- Oversee the development of written proposals, reports and presentations to individual donors
Critical Competencies for Success:
- History of soliciting 6 and 7 figure gifts with the ability to model success for others.
- Critical, entrepreneurial thinker with proven demonstration of successful end-to-end fundraising strategies ? Track record of success as a frontline fundraiser and manager.
- Ability to meet and communicate with donors; experience with a broad range of donors, including venture philanthropists.
- Track record of leading and mentoring a high-performance team, including interviewing, hiring, and training staff and fundraisers; setting metrics and goals for the team; Ideal
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 7-10 years’ experience as a frontline fundraising manager, preferably in a cultural organization and background in major and principal giving;
- Calm, thoughtful, independent and entrepreneurial individual who has experience navigating influential people;
- A dynamic, strategic leader with authentic curiosity and critical thinking skills, unafraid to speak up and voice new ideas;
- Ability to steward donors post-campaign;
- Hands-on leadership skills that leverage diversity, making the most effective use of the various talents and capabilities of all individuals for the achievement of common goals;
- Experience in a complex, varied team environment; willingness to operate in sometimes ambiguous situations;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Skillful at developing and maintaining ongoing working relationships with other departments across an organization to further the institutional mission;
Metrics for Success:
- Oversee fundraising efforts to raise approximately $8-10M from individuals annually for NJPAC operating, campaign and special projects, with focus on renewing and growing annual operating support needs of approximately $4M, prioritizing multi-year gifts
- Oversee team stewarding and renewing individual donor pool of approx. 2,100 households
- Develop 2-4 actionable strategies for individual donors with capacity to give 6+ figures
- Develop familiarity with NJPAC Board members.
- Meet target number of 8-12 fundraising visits per year.
The salary range for this position is between $200,000-$ 250,000.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Emails